Friday 30 May 2014

Poundland Beauty: Filthy Gorgeous Magnetic Nail Polish - Heavy Metal Collection - Review

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing very well! Today's blog post will be featuring some photos taken from my brand new camera that my amazing fiancé bought me for my birthday! My birthday isn't until June 9th however he let me use it early so I can start using it for my blog! I have a few posts coming up that are from my old Iphone camera (including this post that has a cheeky picture of the product from my phone) however hopefully you will be seeing a progress in to much better photo quality!

Anyway I digress; if you would like to see a blog post on my new camera and how I use it do let me know! Today however we will be taking a look at another Poundland beauty steal! Last week I was looking in the cosmetics isle of my local Poundland and I found this magnetic nail polish by Filthy Gorgeous from their magnetic collection. I have been wanting to try magnetic nail polish for the longest time now so I thought it would be good to start at the more affordable end of the spectrum!

Filthy Gorgeous Magnetic Nail Polish

From what I have read, from a quick Google search, the original prices of this nail polish range vary. The original price was £12 and now ranges from between £3-£7 pound online. The cheapest I could find was here on the Debenhams website for £3.60. Either way if you manage to pick this up it is a steal from its original £12 price tag!

Filthy Gorgeous Magnetic Nail Polish - Heavy Metal Collection

The polish itself comes in a carboard box with a little opening to see the polish. The only bug bare I have with the packaging is you have to open it in store to be able to see the magnet which reveals the pattern that will be created. For those of you new to magnetic polishes I will provide a little explanation as to how they work! Essentially the nail polish itself contains something called Iron Oxide pigments which are activated and moved once you place the magnet over your nail. So how do you apply this polish? Here is how I do it:

  1. Apply a base coat as normal.
  2. Apply one thin coat of the polish and allow it to fully dry. I find without a base coat of the colour the effect doesn't show up as well.
  3. Apply another coat of the nail polish. Paint one nail at a time. After painting each nail place the magnet over the nail for five seconds.
  4. Allow the nail to dry then apply a top coat!

I can't stress how important a top coat is! I used a cheap, low standard clear coat and this polish chipped away within a day and not just at the edges. Big chunks came off the nail polish came off so definitely use a decent bas and top coat with this polish!


Filthy Gorgeous Magnetic Polish - Magnet

For those of you wondering, here is what the magnetised lid looks like. It's not attached to the wand of the polish itself, it neatly sits on the lid which is a nice touch as you can keep the polish and magnet together. The pattern the magnet gives is also printed on the lid of the bottle. As you can see this gives a waved pattern.


I also thought I would try and show you the top of the magnet itself. As you can see there is also a little arch for your nail bed to rest on whilst you wait for the pattern to develop which is a nice touch. It also gives you a rough idea of how much space you need to leave in-between the polish and the magnet!

Filthy Gorgeous Magnetic Nail Polish - Heavy Metal Collection

Here we are back to the Iphone photo of my nails! This was just after I had attempted the nail polish for the first time as I wanted to give a good indication of how easy it is to use when you are new to using magnetic polish! I must admit that it takes some getting used to but once you get in to the swing of it its fun to do! The effect is also really unique! If you take a look at my nail art blog posts then you will see that I really love unique nails!

So my overall thoughts? For a pound this is a really spectacular buy! I love the nail polish itself however to get the most out of it you really need a top quality base and top coat. If not then this will have to be one of those nail polishes you reserve just to wear on a night out as that's how long it will last for! The pattern is fantastic and only takes seconds yet looks like you spent much longer on your nails! Overall I love Filthy Gorgeous and their take on magnetic polish. Now I want to try out what some other brands have to offer!

Have you tried any magnetic nail polishes? What is your favourite nail art effect? Let me know in the comments!

BlogLovin |


Twitter |

6 comments:

  1. Wow I just love the results and what a great price!! I will need to try this out sounds amazing! :) xxx

    www.krystelcouture.com | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this magnetic effect:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need it, I need it! It looks amazing for the price :)
    Sensitive Epidermis | Rainbow
    xxx

    ReplyDelete